Cheesesteak Egg Rolls with Avocado Queso Blanco
Servings: 4 people
Rate This Recipe
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 10 oz Ricos Queso Blanco
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 31.5 ounce box Sliced Steaks such as Steak-umm
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion
- Montreal Steak seasoning
- 1 large package egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- In a small bowl, mash a ripe avocado with a fork. When fairly smooth (there will still be some lumps), mix in 1/4 cup of sour cream. Then blend in 1/3 of a can (5-ounces) of Ricos Queso Blanco. Continue stirring until the sauce is smooth and all of the ingredients are combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Optional: for more of a Mexican flare and a modified take on guacamole you can add chopped jalapeño, cilantro, lime zest or even a dash of lime juice. I liked the simplicity of the avocado, sour cream and cheese sauce. Refrigerate the sauce until ready to serve.
- Dice the onion and poblano peppers and saute them in a large skillet over medium-high heat until they begin to get tender. Remove the sliced steaks from the package and break them apart into smaller pieces as you add them to the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to stir and continue to break up the steaks as they cook. Season with Montreal Seasoning to taste. When the meat has cooked through you can drain off any excess fat. Stir in 1/3 of a can (5-ounces) of Ricos Queso Blanco. Remove from the heat.
- Fill a pot with oil as directed on the egg roll wrapper package. Fill each egg roll with a generous helping of the cheesesteak filling and fold each egg roll according to the package directions. Place each egg roll into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. This should take 2-3 minutes each. Remove cooked rolls to a paper towel to cool.
- Tip: You can prepare the egg roll filling up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate until ready to use. The filling also freezes well.
- You will have about 1/3 of the can of cheese left if you make both the Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and the Avocado Queso Blanco. Heat this and put it in a small bowl to serve alongside the egg rolls and dip.